SHS News & Announcements for the Week of May 12, 2020
- Memorial Day/Week Schedule: Due to the current circumstances, our traditional Memorial Day observances in Morrisville and Stowe will be modified this year. SHS will have a Memorial Day themed Advisory/observance on May 22nd (the Friday before Memorial Day). We will also shift our schedule that week.
Monday, May 25- No School for Memorial Day
Tuesday, May 26- Periods , 2, 4, 6, 8 and advisory
Wednesday, May 27- Periods 1, 3, 5, 7 and advisory
Thursday, May 28- Periods 2, 4, 6, 8 and advisory
Friday, May 29- Periods 1, 3, 5, 7 and advisory (No Office Hours during the day)
- The Alchemist Opportunity Fund: The new online-only version of the scholarship application is live - you can find the link on our website: https://alchemistopportunityfund.org/application-form/. Students please see our website because the criteria & instructions are at that site, though they can also go direct to the application form. Application deadline is May 15th.
- DATE CHANGE: For our 11th grade students, you are invited to participate in the Writing a College Essay Workshop. This participatory workshop is designed to help high school students write compelling college application essay(s). Workshops are offered Tuesday 5/26 at 2:45 PM and Friday 5/29 at 11 AM. Please RSVP to Tarah the Wednesday before the workshop and we'll send a google invitation to you.
The college essay will not get you into a college; it may, however:
- tip the scale when compared to others of equal qualifications
- provide a “sticky” recollection of your application for admissions
- show your heart and soul as a prospective student
As a result of this workshop, you will:
Ô Understand what makes you stand out, strengths and values
Ô Be familiar with two types of essays
Ô Refresh writing style and skills
Ô Target a topic for essay writing
Ô Create an outline and key paragraphs (hook or conclusion)
Ô Know resources for essay review
If your student is sick or unable to engage in learning on a specific day, we completely understand, but please just let us know by reaching out to your student’s advisor or email Tarah Hubbard at [email protected]
- SHS Counselor Updates: We recognize there will be many updates to share with you so we've started a document, SHS Counselor Updates, that will list those updates as we receive and review them. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us with any questions. Keep in touch!
- Useful Links: SMHS Student & Family Supports From counseling department - information for all grade levels and tools for our seniors that are reviewing their college choices.